In our education-driven society, learning to read is the essential first step children must take on the road to successful and productive futures. Helping children become proficient readers makes a huge difference in their lives and boosts a school’s overall quality. The Reading Teacher Endorsement certificate program at Governors State University prepares you to teach reading to K-12 students and make a difference.
Post-B.A. Certificate Program
The certificate leads to an Illinois State Board of Education endorsement. In addition to meeting the university admission criteria, you must hold an Illinois or comparable out-of-state license in Early Childhood Education, Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education. You must have completed two years of teaching before being admitted to the reading diagnosis course.
You will take courses in diagnosis, remediation, psycholinguistic and sociolinguistic foundations of literacy, integrating literature across the curriculum, and narrative and expository writing instruction. Practicum experiences, at either the elementaryor secondary levels, are matched to your existing teaching certificate. You have the option of applying your credits toward the M.A. in Reading and a reading specialist certification. Admission requirements to the M.A. program apply.
Special Admission Requirements
The M.A. in Reading program is offered in an on-campus cohort format. Admission to the M.A. in Reading program is available at two points each year, summer term and fall semester. Applications for summer term admission are due by February 15 and applications for fall semester admission are due by May 15.
• Meet the university admission criteria.
• Hold an Illinois (or comparable out-of-state) Early Childhood Certificate, Elementary, Secondary, or Special Teaching Certificate.
• Have completed at least two years of appropriate teaching experience or will have completed two years of teaching experience before being enrolled in READ7240 Reading Diagnosis.
• Submit a formal application to this certificate program.
Before completing six credit-hours (READ6210 and one additional READ course), students must submit:
• The certificate in Reading Teacher Endorsement application.
• An additional set of transcripts showing a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher in all undergraduate
work attempted and all grades in graduate course work at a “B” or better.
• Syllabi and/or detailed narrative descriptions of previous graduate reading course work to be evaluated for transfer credit, if applicable.
• A copy of a valid Illinois or comparable out-of-state initial, standard, or master teaching certificate.
• Evidence of having passed the Test of Academic Proficiency of the Illinois Certification Testing System, or evidence of possessing an Illinois teaching certificate that required passing this test.
• Evidence of two years teaching experience in a recognized public or private school as directed in the application materials.
Requirements for Transfer of Previous Graduate Coursework
Students with previous graduate reading coursework may be allowed to apply a maximum of six credit-hours to the program requirements. Only courses potentially equivalent to specific GSU Reading courses (READ6190,6200, 6220 or 6230) will be considered. Courses must have been completed no longer than six years prior to application for admission to the certificate in Reading Teacher Endorsement. Petitions and documents for these applied credits must be submitted before or at the same time as application for continuation in the certificate, (i.e. prior to completion of READ6210 and one additional READ course). No courses taken at another institution after admission to the certificate may be applied. All petitions for transfer of coursework will be evaluated by the M.A. in Reading faculty.
Required Courses (24 Hours)
READ 6190 Narrative and Expository Writing Instruction, K-12 (3)
READ 6200 Psycholinguistic and Sociolinguistic Foundations of Literacy (3)
READ 6210 Survey of Reading: Theory and Practice (3)
READ 6220 Teaching Reading in Content Areas (3)
READ 6230 Integrating Children’s and Adolescents’ Literature Across the Curriculum (3)
READ 7240 Reading Diagnosis (3)
READ 7250 Reading Remediation (3)
Select the practicum appropriate to original certificate:
READ 7260 Reading Practicum I: Elementary School Reading (3) or
READ 7270 Reading Practicum II: Middle and Secondary School Reading (3)
Total - 24 Hours
Completion Requirement - Effective July 1, 2012, ISBE requires the ICTS content test prior to being admitted to READ7260 or 7270. Note: Those who complete the certificate in Reading Teacher Endorsement have the option of applying these credits towards the M.A. in Reading and for licensure as a Reading Specialist. Admission requirements and time restrictions for the M.A. in Reading apply.