Illinois State Board of Education certification for teachers and other school professionals completing preparation programs at GSU is a web-based procedure:
1) At the conclusion of each term, advisors will provide to the Office of the Dean in the College of Education a list of program completers who are being recommended for ISBE certification. This list will include information about the certificate and any associated endorsements/designations for which the candidate is eligible.
2) The Dean's Office will use a web-based system developed by ISBE to submit all certificate entitlements to Springfield. The entitlements will be entered into the ISBE data base via a web-based interface beginning on the date that degrees are posted for each trimester.
3) Once entitlements have been entered into the ISBE data base, certificate applicants will apply for their certificates via ECS (Educator Certification System) at www.isbe.net/ECS. IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT apply online for your certificate until the GSU College of Education Dean's Office has entered your entitlement into the ISBE data base. The Dean's Office will notify you via your GSU email account as soon as your entitlement has been entered into the ISBE data base.
4)If you are a candidate who has completed an approved program in a participating college or university seeking regular certification, you may use ECS to submit your application for the certificate. In addition to applying for the certificates online, you will be able to use American Express, Discover, Master Card or Visa credit cards to pay your fees. Detailed information regarding these two opportunities and the procedures for making online applications with the use of a credit card follow.
1. Go To the ECS Web Site www.isbe.net/ECS2. Select "Click Here to Access ECS"
3. Set up an ECS account if you do not already have one
4. Log into ECS
5. Select the “Applications” menu item
6 Select the Entitlement Certification Apps menu item
7. Click on the “Apply Online” link to the right of your entitlement certificate
8 Follow the 11-step wizard through the application process
To read more about the ECS system and how to use it, click here (pdf file).
Your certificate will then be mailed to the address you provide on the ECS system, so it is imperative that you double-check the address included in your application. Once your certificate has been received, you will need to register it at the Regional Office of Education for the area in which you will, or hope to, be teaching. If you wish to register the certificate for Chicago, you may do so online. To register your certificate in other areas of the state, you will need to go to the applicable regional office.
Mail official transcripts from all the institutions you have attended to: Illinois State Board of Education, Teacher Certification Department, 100 North First, Springfield, IL 62777.
QUESTIONS? Call the ECS Help Desk at (217) 558-3600
5) Your certificate will then be mailed to the address you provide on the OTIS system, so it is imperative that you double-check the address included in your application. Certificates will generally be printed and mailed approximately two days after your application is filed and credit card processing is completed.
6) Once your certificate has been received, you will need to register it at the Regional Office of Education for the area in which you will, or hope to, be teaching. If you wish to register the certificate for Chicago, you may do so online. To register your certificate in other areas of the state, you will need to go to the applicable regional office. Here is a listing of the Regional Offices of Education for the immediate GSU area:
Local Education Service Regional Offices
Suburban Cook County
Mr. Robert A. Ingraffia
Suburban Cook County Regional Superintendent
Westchester, IL 60154
Will CountyMr. Richard P. Duran
302 N. Chicago
Joliet, IL 60432
Dr. Darlene J. Ruscitti
421 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
Dr. Kay Pangle
189 E. Court Street
Kankakee, IL 60901
CITY OF CHICAGOIllinois State Board of Education
100 W. Randolph St., Suite JRTC14-300
Complete contact information for Illinois's Regional Offices of Education is available on the ISBE web site.
7) You will need to send official transcripts to the Illinois State Board of Education in Springfield. You can order your transcript through the GSU Registrar's Office before the end of your final trimester. Be sure to check the area on the transcript order form that instructs the Registrar's Office to issue the transcript "after grades are posted." Mail official transcripts from all the institutions you have attended to: Illinois State Board of Education, Teacher Certification Department, 100 North First, Springfield, IL 62777.
8) If you have a position offered to you and you need verification of your status at GSU, the Dean's Office can provide a letter (mailed directly to the school district) that will be accepted by some school districts (as determined by district policies and procedures ONLY). Please request a letter ONLY if you have a position pending.
9) Please contact your advisor if you have questions regarding the entitlement/certification procedures at GSU.