Optional University Life Plan
(ING/Reliastar Life Insurance Company)
- The effective date of coverage is the first of the month during the benefit period when the first payroll deduction is taken.
- You may apply for life insurance for yourself in any amount between $10,000 and $250,000 in $5,000 increments.
- Employee life insurance in the amount of $30,000 is guaranteed within the first 30 days of employment.
- Employee life insurance in amounts over $30,000 may be applied for at any time with evidence of good health.
- You may apply for spouse life insurance coverage in any amount between $5,000 and $95,000, at any time with evidence of good health.
- Spouse life insurance may not exceed the amount of employee coverage.
- You may apply for child life insurance in the amounts of $5,000 or $10,000 for each child.
- Child life insurance is guaranteed within the first 30 days of employment.
- Employee and spouse coverage terminates when your insurance age is 70. Active employees beyond this age may continue coverage until the end of the current pay month following the date they stop active work.
- This life insurance is portable, so if you should leave the University, you have the option of taking your life insurance coverage with you to age 70. Additionally, you have the option to convert your policy to a whole life insurance plan.
For an application, contact the Benefits Counselor in Human Resources.