Governors State University is excited to welcome our students back each semester. During the first week of classes, get familiar with our student organizations, and participate in the exciting activities taking place campus wide. If you need any additional information stop by the Student Life Office A-2100 or contact Dennis Dent, Coordinator of Campus Programs and Community Service, firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring 2015 Welcome Week
Events are free to GSU students with ID
Monday, January 19
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Projects 2015 - Participants may register for either service project, by completing the form following each description below.
Service Project 1: The Center for Civic Engagement and Community Service has partnered with City Year Chicago to host a
service project on the south side of Chicago. Volunteers will transform and
beautify two schools with murals, painting and light construction projects in
an effort to reconnect, transform, uplift, and inspire the students, staff, and
community. The opening ceremony will take place at Gage Park High
School (5630 S. Rockwell Street Chicago, IL). This event will last from 8:30
am- 3:30 pm. Transportation will be provided to this site and will leave GSU at
7:30am from the main entrance (D Building). Lunch will also be provided by City
Year. Register Here: M.L.K. Day of Service Registration Form
Service Project 2: We have also partnered with The Village of Park Forest to host
a service project in the south suburbs (closer to University Park and Governors
State). Volunteers will assist with a healthy breakfast demonstration,
distributing donated school supplies , and assist with
duties in their Park Forest food pantry. This events will be located at 207 S. Orchard
Drive Park Forest, IL (enter parking lot at 78 Cherry St.). This event will
take place from 9:30 am - 1:00 pm. Lunch will be provided. Transportation will
not be provided for this location. Register Here: M.L.K. Day of Service Registration Form
Tuesday, January 20
- Jaguar Welcome Café - Student Meet and Greet - enjoy a beverage and conversation with fellow students and learn more about Student Leadership opportunities in Student Senate, GSU Program Council, The Phoenix, and the Community Service Council, noon to 6 p.m., Hall of Governors.
- The Student Life Food Pantry- will be open from noon to 5:00p.m., the Food Pantry is located in Student Commons, and services any member of the GSU community in immediate need. Any students or staff members interested in volunteering contact the Center for Civic Engagement and Community Service by emailing email@example.com.
- Secretary of State Mobile Station noon - 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 21
Student Club and Organization Fair and Pace Campus Connection - noon to 6 p.m., Hall of Governors- join a GSU Student Organization, or get information on how to start your own club. The Pace Campus Connection will provide city transit information for students.
Thursday, January 22
- Alternative Spring Break Information Session
-- Participate in the nation wide movement that involves college students serving their communities. The Center for Civic Engagement and Community Service will take 10 GSU students to San Diego, CA for a week full of service projects, civic engagement and networking fun. Come and learn more about this amazing program at 3:30p.m., room A-2110. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Campus Crawl- Join this campus wide virtual scavenger hunt. Get familiar with GSU academic departments, and student service areas, everyone who participates will win GSU swag, and be entered in a drawing for tickets to the Chicago Bulls.
Monday, January 26
- MLK Commerative Program - The GSU Community celebrates the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The program will include inspirational messages of hope and change, uplifting performances, and presentations. The program is sponsored by Student Life, Intercultural Affairs. For more information contact email@example.com.
Thursday, January 29
- Open Mic Night
-- We will transform the GSU Cafe' Annex into a hip underground coffee
house from 6:00p.m. until 7:30p.m. Enjoy original poetry, singing, and
spoken word by GSU Students and Special Guests. Any one can
pre-register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up on-site.