Yearly Tax Filing

All international students and scholars in the U.S. must file a tax form even if they were not employed. Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student and scholar.

Earnings from student employment, including income from assistantships, internships, and on-campus employment, may be subject to federal and state income taxes.

The staff from Office of International Services (OIS) are neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice.

Note: F-1 & J-1 students are required to notify the university within 10 days if there is any change of address.

For Assistance:

Illinois State Tax Department Tax Payer Assistance Phone Numbers

  • 1.800.732.8866
  • 217.782.3336

Important Reminders

  • Make sure the person you contact is knowledgeable about non-resident tax laws.
  • Always keep a copy of any tax papers you lend.
  • Make sure you sign your return.
  • Mail your return by April 15.