Earth Day Tour: Where The Prairie Meets The City
Manilow Sculpture Park – meet up in Chicago Millennium Park
Saturday April 21, 2018 – join us for a
Spring excursion in celebration of Earth Day 2018
The Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park is conveniently connected to Chicago via the Metra Electric Line, so we’ll meet up in Millennium Park, catch a train and enjoy a walk in the park – where the prairie meets the city.
Of the 29 masterworks of art in the collection, this tour will highlight 3 favorite artists: Richard Hunt, John Henry, and Mark di Suvero – and we’ll see many other pieces along the way.
Pack a lunch and bring a friend. The tour is free. Go to www.metrarail.com (Metra Electric Line) for ticket information.
10:10 a.m. Metra departs Millennium Station
return train arrives back in Millennium Station 3:43 p.m.
or drive and meet us there – for details go to www.facebook.com/nathan.manilow.sculpture.park
For those interested in a tour of the Chakaia Booker pieces in Millennium Park, meet at 9:30 a.m. in the south Boeing Gallery just above the Crown Fountain (at the large, circular, central sculpture in the Chakaia Booker exhibit - photograph of the piece in the comments section, on the Facebook event page).
10:10 Metra departs from Millennium Station.
11:20 Metra arrives University Park Station
8 minute walk to the sculpture park and first leg of tour
11:50/12 noon arrive GSU main building via:
Richard Hunt “Large Planar Hybrid” 1973-74 and “Outgrown Pyramid II” 1973
D Main Entrance, bathroom break
12-12:30 lunch/snack -
12:30-2:00 second leg of the tour including:
John Henry “Illinois Landscape No. 5” 1976
Mark di Suvero “Yes! For Lady Day” 1968-69
2:00 return to GSU bathroom break
2:40 Metra departs UP for MP
3:43 arrival in MP
1. Dress for the weather, walking approximately three miles on pavement and grass paths.
2. Bring your own lunch and snacks, or see what the GSU cafeteria has to offer.
3. There is no fee for the tour; participants will need to purchase or bring their own lunch, and their own Metra ticket - see www.metrarail.com (Metra Electric Line) for details on purchasing via the Ventra app, or in the station prior to boarding.
4. Join us for some or all - if you are local to GSU, or just feel like driving in, feel free to meet us, we will be starting near the D Main Entrance at the Richard Hunt works.
5. Feel free to stay longer - study the Metra schedule if you are using that to see what works for you.