Faculty Senate and University Committees
Faculty Senate 2012-2013
Dr. Rashidah Muhammad
Dr. Daniel Cortese
Dr. Barbara Winicki
- College of Arts and Sciences:
- College of Business and Public Administration: Dr. Aida Shekib
- Dr. Rashidah Muhammad, Faculty Senate President
- College of Health and Human Services: Dr. Raven James
- College of Education: Dr. Jeanine Klomes
- University Library/Digital Learning and Media Design: Ms. Yevette Brown
- Dr. Sandra Gandy, APRC Chair
- Dr. Betsy Essex, EPC Chair
- Ms. Beth Parin, UCC Chair
- Dr. Barbara Winicki, Faculty Senate Secretary
- Dr. Daniel Cortese, Faculty Senate Vice President
- Dr. Robin Washington, College of Health and Human Services
Faculty Senate and Bylaws Committees
External Faculty Links
GSU Shared Governance Committees
Service on University committees is an important Faculty responsibility. Under the Faculty Senate Bylaws, permanent faculty represent constituencies on the Faculty Senate, and also its committees for curriculum, program, and educational policy. Members of the Faculty Senate and its standing committees are elected by their constituencies on an annual basis. Vacancies may be filled by appointment of the Faculty Senate.
Faculty also serve on advisory committees to Student Affairs, Auxiliary Services, and University Library; and also serve as advisors to student groups and the student newspaper.
Temporary faculty also make important contributions through many University committees, through appointment by Faculty Senate, dean, college faculty, provost, or the President of GSU.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Faculty Senate
(according to the former Constitution for Governors State University, withdrawn in 2007)
The Faculty Senate shall recommend policies concerning academic programs, instruction, the granting of credit and degrees, academic standing, search and screening processes for academic and administrative employees consistent with Board of Governors Policies and Regulations, faculty governance, student life in conjunction with the Student Senate, campus physical resource, the budget of the University and academic organization.
The Faculty Senate shall advise on specific decisions which may be made under any of these policies in a manner which shall be set forth in Faculty Senate Bylaws.
- The Faculty Senate meets the third Thursday of every month, 1-3 pm, usually in the McGee Hall of Honors.
- The Faculty Senate Executive Committee meets in closed session the first Thursday of every month from 1-3 pm, usually in the Library Administration Conference Room.
- Faculty Senate committees meet monthly or twice a month; schedule varies. Contact the committee chair for schedule.