**Note: This program is not accepting applications at this time.**
To apply for this program, individuals must have obtained their bachelor’s degree and are willing to complete their residency and work in a partner school district for a period of at least three years after completing the program.
Special Admissions Requirements
Admission to the program is on a competitive basis.
1. Alternative Certification application form
2. Holistic assessments including, but not limited to:
• GRE results (including the writing test)
• Group problem solving activity
The Alternative Certification Assessment Committee monitors and evaluates candidates’ progress continually and specifically at four checkpoints. Detailed information is available in the Alternative Certification Candidate Handbook in the student portal.
Admission to Teaching Residency
Before the teaching residency, candidates must:
1. Pass the Illinois Test of Academic/Proficiency/Basic Skills Test (400) and the Illinois Elementary/Middle School Content Area Test (110) or Secondary Content Area (Chemistry Test 105, Biology Test 106, or Mathematics Test 115).
2. Apply for and receive an Illinois Professional Educator License with Stipulations.
3. Sign an agreement to teach in one of the partner school districts.
Middle School Endorsement
Candidates should contact their advisor if middle school endorsements are desired so their study plan reflects this decision and additional coursework.
This program is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education for recommendation of Professional Educator License endorsed in Elementary or Secondary Education by entitlement. To be recommended by Governors State University, elementary and secondary candidates must complete the program
and apply for their license within one year of the program’s ending date.