Getting started is easy!
Students must complete the steps listed below in order to apply for admission to GSU and petition for in-state residency:
- Complete an application for admission making sure to do the following:
- Create a profile.
- Complete the domestic application for Freshman, Transfer or Graduate students or apply online here
- Submit the application fee that applies.The freshman application fee is $25. The Transfer application fee is $25. The Graduate application fee is $50.
- If you are a high school student: we also need the following:
official high school transcripts from all high schools if applicable,
scores, and a personal statement if applicable.
- If you are a transfer student or graduate student, please submit:
official transcripts from all colleges attended and any additional
documents that may be required by your selected major.
For more information about the admission process contact:
Marcia Boyd, Associate Director of Admissions
Noreen Heidelberg, Admissions Counselor
Undocumented Student Criteria
Students who are not U.S. citizens or legal permanent
residents, or do not possess a green card, visa or other legal
documentation, can apply for admission to Governors State University and pay in-state tuition.
Illinois General Assembly Public Act 093-0738 provides that undocumented
students be classified as Illinois residents for tuition purposes if
they meet all of the following conditions:
- Student resided with her/his parent or guardian while attending a public or private Illinois high school.
- Student graduated from an Illinois high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Illinois.
- Student attended an Illinois high school for at least 3 years as of
the date of graduation from high school or received the equivalent of a
high school diploma in Illinois.
- Student provides the university with an affidavit stating her/his
intent to file an application to become a permanent resident of the U.S.
Complete the GSU Affidavit linked here. Have the Affidavit signed and notarized
by a notary public and return it to the Registrars office.
Information on tuition and fees can be found using the tuition estimator linked here. If you are accepted to GSU, you must contact the Registrars Office to confirm your in-state residency for tuition purposes
otherwise you will be charged out-of-state tuition. If you have questions about residency please contact the Registrar's Office:
Office of the Registrar
Governors State University
1 University Parkway, C-1300
University Park, IL 60484