- Ph.D., Mathematics Education, Illinois State University, 2002
- M.S.T, Mathematics Education, University of Illinois, 1998
- M.Ed., Instructional Technology, National Louis University, 1992
- B.S., Mathematics and Physics, University of Illinois 1976
- "Sharing Teaching Ideas - Partners for Problem Solving" Ohio Journal of School Mathematics, April 2008.
- "Focus on Freshmen: Improving the First Year Experience - research study on
improving the freshmen year of college and improving the student retention rate." Robert Morris College, Chicago, Illinois, Unpublished report, September 2005.
- "Best Internet Practices in Secondary Mathematics", Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Coauthored, published in the Illinois Mathematics Teacher, Fall 2003.
- Faculty Excellence Award, Governors State University, 2012
- Impact on Student Learning, Annual Conference of the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics Peoria, IL October 18, 2008.
- Focus on Freshmen - Using Online Resources to Support Learning Communities
Presentation at the 2006 Supporting Learning and Technology in Education (SLATE) Conference, Chicago, Illinois, October 2006.
- Web-Based Mathematics, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois - April 2000.
- My current research is focused on developing a description of the nontraditional student as mathematics major. I am primarily interested in creating a profile with details about gender, educational background, ethnicity, and teaching preferences. My research will be both qualitative and quantitative in nature. Students majoring in mathematics at GSU will be asked to complete an online survey geared to obtaining demographic information and preferences in terms of teaching and learning styles. Selected student who come to the program with the intention of changing professions will also be asked to complete a questionnaire designed to provide information about changing careers to mathematics. I am also interested in learning about and training others to use new mathematics technology.
Institutional Research - Robert Morris College
- Developed a year-long initiative to improve the first-year program for freshmen students leading to improved student retention. The main component of the
program was a two-year series of professional development workshops for faculty focused on active learning strategies delivered at all seven campuses. Preliminary results indicated a 5% increase in retention of freshmen students the first year and a 12% retention increase the second year.
- Developed an associate degree in education and completed the accompanying IBHE degree application for a program for paraprofessionals that could articulate to a bachelor's degree and elementary teacher certification for early childhood and elementary education with two other institutions.
- Developed an associate degree and completed the accompanying IBHE degree applications for programs in Surgical Technology and in Fitness Specialist that could articulate to a bachelor's degree in Health Care Management. Both programs were approved by the IBHE and are currently offered at Robert Morris College.
- Serve as Program Coordinator and Academic Advisor for the Mathematics Program at GSU while student enrollment has increased from 12 students in
September 2007 to over 45 in January 2009.
- Serve as the University Supervisor for mathematics secondary student teachers.
- Work on the technology committee for the annual conference of the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Prepared the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Specialty Professional Association (SPA) report for an upcoming NCATE accreditation visit and the accompanying addenda report for the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Serve as evaluation coordinator and Codirector for the Teacher Quality Enhancement (TQE) grant through the U.S. Department of Education for the secondary education programs at GSU.
- Prepared the application and successfully obtained Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) approval for the Mathematics Teacher Education program at GSU in December 2007.
- Prepared the application and successfully obtained Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) approval for a new post-baccalaureate Certificate in Mathematics Teacher Education program at GSU in December 2008.
- Developed a two-year program of professional development for freshmen faculty which was delivered institutionally at RMC's seven campuses.
- Served as Program Director for the Computer Studies Division at RMC for five years. I was responsible for advising and planning 200 to 250 computer students. In addition, I worked closely with both full-time and part-time faculty.
- Developed a six-quarter course sequence at RMC in advanced undergraduate computer networking in partnership with the Cisco Networking Academy.
- Taught a wide variety of computer courses in the Summer Institute program and led workshops throughout the year in technology-related career topics for the professional development of high school teachers, counselors, and RMC faculty.
- Served as the faculty trainer for the Orland Park campus of RMC for the adoption of the Blackboard Course Management Program.
- Taught preparatory courses in mathematics and science for high school students to prepare them for the ACT exam.
- Developed new institutional programs and the accompanying IBHE program applications in education and health studies at RMC.
- High School Teacher - I have eight years experience teaching mathematics, physics, and computer science at the secondary level and hold current Illinois secondary certification in mathematics and physics.
- Mathematical Association of America
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Illinois Mathematics Educators