After admission as a degree-seeking student, a graduate student also must apply for candidacy. Application forms are available in the Academic Advising Office. To qualify for candidacy, a student must:
- satisfy any conditions of admission;
- complete all preparatory courses with a grade of "C" or better in each course;
- satisfy the written communication proficiency requirement;
- apply for candidacy after earning a minimum of nine and a maximum of 12 graduate credit-hours. Students who complete more than 15 hours of degree requirements before attaining candidacy status may still be required to complete up to 18 additional hours, approved by the dean, as a candidate before being approved for graduation by the college; and
- maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher for all course work completed at Governors State University as a graduate student.
Download Candidacy Application.