Conductive Education (CE) was developed by Andres Peto (1893-1967) in Budapest, Hungary, in 1945. Peto's concept led to the establishment of the "Institute for the Motor Disabled," in the 1950's, today known as the "Peto Institute." The Peto Institute continues to provide CE services to children and adults worldwide. It also serves as an educational institution for conductor-teachers.
Due to the "iron curtain," CE did not reach the US until the early 1980s. The first CE-based program in the U.S. was established in New York in 1989. The main force responsible for the spread of CE in the U.S. was parents of children with motor impairments.
The spread of CE worldwide was occurring concurrently. Noted training institutions include The Peto Institute (Hungary), The National Institute of Conductive Education (Birmingham, England), and Aquinas College (Grand Rapids, Michigan).
Today CE is practiced around the world, including programs in Europe, the Middle East, Australia, Asia, and North America. In keeping with the demand from North American families and rehabilitation specialists, GSU offers a one-year certificate program in the principles of CE for licensed rehabilitation professionals.