- Ph.D., Kansas State University, Marriage and Family Therapy, 1998
- M.S., Illinois State University, Clinical Psychology, 1994
- B.S., Illinois State University, Psychology, 1992
- Crethar, H.C., Dermer, S.B., Dunham, & Smith, S. (2009). Social advocacy genogram: A tool for child and family advocacy, American Counseling Association. Charlotte, NC.
- Boender, J., Dermer, S.B., & Dunham, S.M. (2008). Let’s talk about sex or our clients won’t. Illinois Counseling Association. Tinley Park, IL.
- Dermer, S.B., Boender, J., Malvestuto, M., & Smith, S. (2007). Utilizing creativity in multimedia to engage counselor education students. Hawaii International Conference on Education. Honolulu, HI.
- Dermer, S.B., Boender, J., Malvestuto, M., & Smith, S. (2007). Let’s talk about sex: Creating a sex therapy course to help counselors become more comfortable discussing sexual issues with clients. Hawaii International Conference on Education. Honolulu, HI.
- Ratts, V., Crethar, H.C., & Dermer, S.B. (2006). Teaching multiculturalism and social justice through a focus on privilege. Western Association for Counselor Education and Supervision.
- Crethar, H.C., Dermer, S., Slabon, L, Rodriquez, G., & Meah, S. (2005). Reaching across the aisle: A panel on religion, spirituality, and social justice. 57th Annual State Conference of the Illinois Counseling Association, Itasca, IL
- Dermer, S.B., & Barto, K.K. (2005). Edutainment: Utilizing Multimedia as Intervention. American Counselor Education and Supervision. Pittsburgh, IL.
- Crethar, H. & Dermer, S.B. (2005). Understanding The Role of Privilege in Empowerment. Annual Spring Conference of the Illinois Association of Multicultural Counseling, the Illinois Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling, and Illinois Counselors for Social Justice. Chicago Heights, IL
- Dermer, S.B. Smith, S.D., & Barto, K.K. (In Press). Identifying and Correctly Labeling Sexual Prejudice, Discrimination, and Oppression. Journal of Counseling & Development.
- Foraker-Koons, K. & Dermer, S.B. (2008). Games couples lay II: One, two, three—Draw. In L. Hecker & C. Sori (Eds.) The Therapist’s Notebook III: Homework, Handouts & Activities for Use in Psychotherapy. Haworth Press.
- Smith, S. D., Dermer, S.B., Ng, K.M., & Barto, K.K. (2007). From “homophobia” to homoemasculation”: A primer for counselors on sexual language discourse. NC Perspectives, 1 (Fall), 11-20.
- Foraker-Koons, K. & Dermer, S.B. (2007). Games couples lay I: The Relationship Quiz Show. In L. Hecker & C. Sori (Eds.) The Therapist’s Notebook II: Homework, Handouts & Activities for Use in Psychotherapy. Haworth Press.
- Black, L., Crethar, H.C., Dermer, S.B., & Luke, M. (2006). Gender identity: “My name is Samantha, Not Sammy.” In S.M. Hobson & L.A. Carlson (Eds.), Critical Incidents in Counseling Children. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Dermer, S.B., Smith, D.S., & Matson, J.L. (2006). Systems theory and narrative therapy: Enhancing multicultural sensitivity of career theory and counseling. Illinois Counseling Association, 154 (1).
- Dermer, S., Olund, D., & Sori, C.F. (2006). Integrating Play in Family Therapy Theories. In C. F. Sori (Ed) Engaging Children in Family Therapy: Creative Approaches to Integrating Theory and Research in Clinical Practice, pp. 37-65. New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Sori, C.F., Dermer, S., & Weslowski, G. (2006). Involving children in family counseling and involving parents in children’s counseling: Theoretical and practical guidelines. In C. F. Sori (Ed) Engaging Children in Family Therapy: Creative Approaches to Integrating Theory and Research in Clinical Practice, pp. 37-65. New York: Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Smith, S., Dermer, S.B., & Astromovich, R. (2005). Age of awareness and identification of sexual orientation: The “coming out” of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and questioning (GLBTQ) youth. Psycological Reports, 96(3), 651-654.
- CACREP Site Vistitor, 2006-present
- AAMFT Clinical Member and Approved Supervisor
- ACA Member
- OAMFT Newsletter Editor, 1999-2004
- OAMFT President-Elect, 2004
- JMFT Reviewer
- AAMFT Conference Reviewer, 2001 and 2002
- Family Systems theory
- Couples Counseling
- Family Therapy Techniques
- Advanced Systems Theory
- Sex Therapy