- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Clinical Services Research, University of California San Francisco, 2002-2004
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, Michigan State University, 2002
- Pre-doctoral Clinical Internship, Harvard Medical School/Boston VAMC, 2001-2002
- M. A., Counseling, Central Michigan University, 1996
- A. B., Women’s Studies/Psychology, University of Michigan, 1984
- Licensed Psychologist, 2003-present (California, Florida, Georgia)
- Qualified Supervisor, 2005 (Florida)
- Professional Counselor, 1996-2001 (Michigan)
- Social Worker, 1989-1996 (Michigan)
- Gormley, B. (2008, March). Correlates of psychological abuse in college dating relationships. In F. Lopez (Chair), Adult attachment and interpersonal problems: Sharpening the focus.Symposium presented at the International Counseling Psychology Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Gormley, B. (2008, March). Considering the context of mentoring relationships: Boundaries,power, and multiple relationships. In S. Morrow & J. Barber (Chairs), Powerful and personal: Mentoring from multiple perspectives. Pre-conference workshop presented at the International Counseling Psychology Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Gormley, B. (2005, July). Gender and intimate partner violence: An adult attachment perspective .In I. Frieze (Chair), Gender and interpersonal violence. Panel presented at the 9th International Family Violence Research Conference, Portsmouth, NH.
- Gormley, B. (2010, August). Early career professionals and mentoring: Navigating the boundaries of competence. In C. C. Datchi-Phillips (Chair), Mentoring kaleidoscope: Addressing human differences in mentoring relationships. Symposium conducted at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, San Diego, CA.
- Blood, R. A. C., Quimby, J., & Gormley, B. (2009, August). Gender differences: The influences of role models on career decision making self-efficacy. Poster presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada.
- McNiel, D. E., Gormley, B., Binder, R. L. (2008, August). Leverage, the treatment relationship,and treatment participation. Paper presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Boston, MA.
- Gormley, B. (Chair, 2007, March). Multicultural feminist mentoring relationships: Influences of cultural differences and similarities on negative experiences. Symposium presented at the annual conference of the Association for Women in Psychology, San Francisco, CA.
- Gormley, B., & Blanco, S. (2006, August). An attachment-theoretical perspective of mentoring relationships in a multicultural feminist context. In E. N. Williams (Chair), Understudied aspects of mentorship—Feminist and multicultural perspectives. Symposium presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Gormley, B. (Chair; 2006, April). Multicultural and feminist critiques of mainstream Approaches to diverse populations. Symposium presented at the annual conference Of the Association for Women in Psychology, Ypsilanti, MI.
- Triarhos, S., & Gormley, B. (2005, August). Attachment and ecological theories: Applications to child sexual abuse recovery. Poster presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Sauer, E. M., Anderson, M. Z., Gormley, B., Richmond, C. J., &
Preacco, L. (in press). Client attachment orientations, psychological
distress, and working alliances with therapists-in-training. Psychotherapy Research.
- Aldea, M. A., Rice, K. G., Gormley, B., Rojas, A. (in press). Telling
perfectionists about their perfectionism: Effects of providing feedback
on emotional reactivity and psychological Symptoms. Behaviour Research and
- Gormley, B., & McNiel, D. E. (2010). Adult attachment orientations, depressive
symptoms, anger,and self-directed aggression by psychiatric patients.
Cognitive Therapy and Research, 34,272-281.
- Gormley, B., & Lopez, F. G. (2010). Correlates of psychological abuse perpetration
in college dating relationships. Journal of College Counseling, 13, 4-16.
- Gormley, B., & Lopez, F. G. (2010). Authoritarian and homophobic attitudes:
Gender and adult Attachment style differences. Journal of Homosexuality,
- Gormley, B., & Lopez, F. G. (2010). Psychological abuse perpetration in college
dating relationships: Contributions of gender, stress, and adult attachment
orientations. Journal of Interpersonal violence, 25, 204-218.
- Gormley, B. (2008). An application of attachment theory: Mentoring relationship
dynamics and ethical concerns. Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnership in
Learning, 16, 45-62.
- Gormley, B. (2005). An adult attachment theoretical perspective of gender
symmetry in intimate partner violence. Sex Roles, 11/12, 785-795.
- Gormley, B. (2005). A multiracial unity group for graduate students. In S. K.
Anderson & V. A. Middleton (Eds.), Explorations in oppression, diversity and
privilege (pp. 185-190). Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.
- Gormley, B. (2004). Application of adult attachment theory to treatment of
chronically suicidal, traumatized women. Psychotherapy: Theory/Research/
• American Psychological Association
Division 17 - Counseling Psychology
Division 29 – Psychotherapy
Division 35 - Psychology of Women
Division 56 - Trauma Psychology
• Association for Women in Psychology
• Who’s Who in America, 2011
• American Psychological Association Division 35
Mary Roth Walsh Teaching the Psychology of Women Award, 2008
• Georgia State University College of Education Annual Mentoring
• National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Loan Repayment
• National Science Foundation STEM Scholarship, 2003
• Outstanding Counseling Psychology Graduate Student Award, 2002
• Michigan State University Excellence-in-Teaching Citation, 2001
• Michigan State University Distinguished Fellowship, 1997-2001
• State of Michigan Worker of the Year Award, Families First
• University of Michigan Virginia Voss Excellence in Writing Award, 1984
• University of Michigan Rackham Fellowship, 1980-1984
• National Merit Scholarship, 1980
At Governors State University:
• Personality Theories
• Stress Management Lab
• Professional Standards in Human Services and Research
Other topics taught at other universities:
• Practicum, Internship, Basic Helping Skills
• Psychology of Women, Traumatology
• Personality Assessment, Projective Assessment,
Intelligence Assessment, Neuropsychological
Testing, Educational and Psychological Appraisal