Admission Criteria for School Counselor Certification
In addition to the GSU graduate certificate requirements for admission, applicants must:
- Provide evidence of having completed a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education in counseling or psychology;
- Provide evidence of having passed the Basic Skills Test of the Illinois Certification Testing System; and
- have a graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
1. Fill out a GSU Certificate Application located online.
a. Please write "SCCC" in the spot that asks for the certificate code.
2. Fill out and attach to the above Certificate Application a Counseling Supplemental Packet:
a. Counseling Application (includes a Statement of Character)
b. Three Personal Reference Forms
d. Test of Academic Proficiency results [formerly the Illinois Basic Skills test] or ACT results (score of 22, with writing portion)
e. Copy of teaching certificate(s) if applicable
f. One official copy of all transcripts (graduate work only)
Once the faculty have reviewed your application you may be asked to campus for an interview.