Obtaining an Initial Document

International Students wishing to attend Governors State University must first complete the application process with the Office of Admissions. The application process will require all of the documentation that domestic applicants must submit, based on their program, in addition to the following materials:

Detailed information regarding the application process can be found on the Office of Admissions Application page. If you have detailed questions about the application process. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or phone (708) 534-5000. 

Once you have been admitted to the university, then you will work with the Office of International Services to obtain your I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Students). We cannot issue your immigration document until you have been accepted by the university and we have been notified by the Office of Admissions of your acceptance. Once your document is created, it will be mailed to you using U.S.P.S. Air Mail. If you prefer to arrange for an express courier, then please contact the Office of International Services to receive our express courier instructions.