• Which application should I complete?


    You are a freshman applicant if you currently attend high school,
    have graduated from high school or have passed the GED and
    have never attended a college, university or trade school after
    graduating from high school or have less than 24 semester hours from a regionally accredited institution.

    You are a transfer applicant if you have 45 semester hours or more from a regionally accredited institution.

    Please note: We are currently transitioning from an upper division university to a four-year university. Students with 24-44 semester hours of credit will not be accepted until Fall 2015

    You are a graduate level student if you have previously earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.

  • How can I determine the status of my application?


    Contact the Office of Admissions at 708-534-4490 or email admission@govst.edu for an update on the status of your application.

  • Will all of my credits transfer?


    Most college level credits from a regionally accredited college or university will transfer. Make sure that you check the grade requirements for the academic program that you’re interested in. As a general rule, a grade of “C” or 2.0 or higher is required. In some cases, credits will not transfer because they do not meet the requirements of the program that you’re applying to.

  • Are there resources available for students interested in transferring to GSU?


    The following links and information are helpful to undergraduate students looking to transfer to GSU as well as for area administrators, faculty and staff.
    Undergraduate Transfer Guides
    Illinois Articulation Initiative
    General Education Requirements

  • Can I take individual courses without pursuing a degree?


    Absolutely! You will apply for admission as a non-degree seeking student, which does not require you to submit transcripts. Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

  • Where can I get a university catalog?


    You can find the university catalog at www.govst.edu/catalog.


  • Are there programs available for students studying at a distance?


    Distance learning is one of GSU's strengths. We offer more than 130 courses online or as distance learning programs. GSU also offers correspondence and tele-courses. Students who enroll in any of our distance learning courses are charged in-state tuition rates no matter where they live. Additional information is available from the GSU School of Extended Learning.

  • How do I know if my transcripts are official?


    Request official transcript(s) from each college or university you have attended and have them sent to:

    Governors State University
    Office of Admissions
    1 University Parkway
    University Park, IL 60484-0975

    Important: Do not open transcripts sent directly to you. Instead, please forward the transcript directly to GSU at the above address.

    Official transcripts can also be sent electronically from the sending institution to Governors State by having them emailed to apotranscripts@govst.edu.

  • Do I need to attend a new student orientation?


    Yes, you are required to attend new student orientation. Should you be accepted, dates will be provided. All undergraduate degree seeking students are also required to complete the online directed self-placement exam prior to registration. The directed self-placement exam can be found in the MyGSU portal.