Master of Arts in Teaching - Urban Teacher Education
Interested in earning your Master's degree, teacher certification and a $30,000 stipend? The Alternative Route to Elementary Teacher Certification or Secondary Teacher Certification (Biology, Chemistry, or Mathematics) make it possible for individuals from a variety of backgrounds and careers to enter the teaching profession. If you
- possess a baccalaureate degree,
- have five years of professional experience since earning your degree,
- have been successful working with children or young people in your community (e.g. church groups, youth sports, scouting, etc)
- are committed to entering the teaching profession, and
- are selected as a candidate for this program
it is possible to earn a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Urban Teacher Education and an Elementary or Secondary teaching certificate in 18 months while working in a partner school district as a Provisionally Certified calssroom teacher.
The program is fully approved by the Illinois State Board of Education to prepare you for the Illinois Type 03 Elementary Teaching Certificate or the Type 09 Secondary Teaching Certificate (Biology, Chemistry, or Mathematics).
Click here to view the program fact sheet.
Alt Cert in the News!
NEW! info session schedule (for 2013-2014 program year)