The following course work is required by the Illinois State Board of Education for eligibility for the Bilingual/ESL approval:
- BBED 520 Foundations of Bilingual & ESL Education [meets the requirement for Theoretical Foundations of Teaching ESL] - 3 credit hours
- BBED 525 Assessment of Language Minority Students - 3 credit hours
- BBED 530 Methods & Materials for Teaching Bilingual Students [for the Bilingual Approval only] - 3 credit hours
- EDUC 650 Topics in Education: Teaching English as a Second Language [equivalent to English 508 Teaching English as a Second Language] - 3 credit hours AVAILABLE ONLINE FALL 2012!
- BBED 538 Cross Cultural Education - 3 credit hours
- BBED 797 Reading Strategies in Bilingual & ESL Programs - 3 credit hours
- BBED 800 Practicum in Bilingual & ESL Education [ Elective – last course in the sequence] - 3 credit hours
18 total credit hours are required for the credential.
Classes generally meet twice per week each semester, making it possible for teachers to earn the credential in one calendar year.
Courses are offered both on campus each semester in University Park and in a cohort format in the City of Chicago, where highly qualified CPS educators participate as course faculty.
Click here for information regarding tuition and fees.
Questions? Please contact:
Dr. Larry Cross, Program Coordinator
Mr. Terrance Felker, Program Advisor