Emergency Closing Information
The Governors State University community will be informed about a campus closure or emergency situation via the following methods:
Regroup Emergency Notification System
The university's Regroup Notification System delivers emergency and closing information to students, faculty, and staff via three methods:
- Pre-recorded messages delivered by phone
- Text messages sent to text-enabled phones
(Note: You may incur regular phone and text message charges when receiving emergency notification. Check with your telephone/cellular provider regarding current rates.)
- E-mail sent to a GSU issued student or staff account
Additional information, including how to set personal contact preferences is available on GSU's Emergency Notification webpage.
Emergency Closing Center
- The university will contact the Emergency Closing Center. Closing information will be received by most major radio and television stations including:
- WGN Radio 720 AM
- WBBM Radio 780 AM
- CBS Channel 2
- NBC Channel 5
- ABC Channel 7
- WGN Channel 9
- WFLD FOX Channel 32
- CLTV Cable
- To access Emergency Closing Center's information:
- Go to www.emergencyclosings.com, and search for Governors State University, University Park, or
- Call 847.238.1234, and enter GSU's main telephone number, 708.534.5000, using a touchtone phone.
- GSU's campus status hotline, 708.534.4909, will provide a recorded message with information regarding an emergency closure. Because it's possible many calls will be received at the same time, callers may experience a busy signal and should repeat their call until the message is heard.
Determining Status for the Day Following the Initial Closure:
- Check all resources listed above.
- In the absence of a specific announcement to the contrary, it should be understood that classes and other functions will continue as scheduled.