On November 3, 2007, Dr. Elaine P. Maimon identified seven imperatives that will guide Governors State University as it becomes a model university for the twenty-first century.
- GSU will expand access to underserved student populations.
- GSU will be a student-centered university.
- GSU will be a model organization that asks, "Why not?" and listens.
- GSU will help unify the Chicago Southland, as well as Kankakee and Will Counties.
- GSU will apply expertise in research, scholarship and creative activity to help solve real-world problems.
- GSU will be committed to a seamless educational experience, pre-school to graduate school (P-20), with special emphasis on partnerships between GSU and community colleges.
- GSU will provide a debt-free baccalaureate education for local community college transfer students at the poverty level.
Full text explanation of the Seven Imperatives from Dr. Maimon’s Installation Address >>