Teachers, Increase Your Qualifications and Make a Difference!
The College of Education offers a number of its programs in on- and off- campus formats to interested and qualified candidates
Earn Your Master of Arts in:
Multicategorical Special Education with LBS I Unlimited Endorsement
Educational Administration with Principal Leadership Endorsement
Reading with Type 10 Licensure
ESL/BL Education with BL/ESL Approval
Currently enrolled in a Cohort?
Click here for program resources including sample course syllabi, forms, and information regarding comprehensive exams and practicum.
Interested in starting a cohort in your school or district?
Contact Cohort Director, Dr. Dor Fitzgerald at 708.534.4536 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Master of Arts in Counseling - School Counseling Sequence
Earn your Master of Arts in Counseling and become a licensed School Counselor at our newest cohort offering in Naperville! CLasses meet at the GSU Naperville Education Center, 2244 W. 95th Street, 3rd Floor, Naperville, IL (Fry Properties Building), www.govst.edu/nec.
The mission of the school counseling program at Governors State University is to promote excellence in professional school counseling as an integral component in the development of all students. The primary goal is to prepare responsive professional counselors in K-12 school settings who will assist students in maximizing their educational, vocational and personal/social growth and development. The school counseling program at GSU endorses the role of the professional school counselor as a licensed educator who addresses the needs of students comprehensively through the implementation of a developmental school counseling program.
The school counseling program at GSU is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counselor Education and Related Programs (CACREP) and it meets academic specifications for Illinois licensure as a Professional Counselor. The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has approved the school counseling program at GSU as leading to the Educator License - School Counseling endorsement.
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
M.A. in Counseling: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
GSU Naperville Education Center
2244 West 95th Street
Naperville, IL 60564
Reserve your seat! – RSVP to Jan Ulner: email@example.com, 630.428.3375
Master of Arts in Reading
Earn your Master of Arts in Reading leading to IL Licensure as Reading Specialist or a Reading Teacher Endorsement
Learn more; earn more with a Master of Arts in Reading from GSU!
Master of Arts in MultiCategorical Special Education
Recruiting for Spring Semester 2014 (January 2014 Start Date):
- Chicago Heights, IL, SPEED Central Office
Location: SPEED CEO Center, 1125 Division Street, Chicago Heights, IL 60411
- GSU Naperville Education Center
Location: 2244 W. 95th Street, 3rd Floor, Naperville, IL (Fry Properties Building)
Recruiting for Summer 2014 (May 2014 Start Date):
- School District 148, Dolton, IL
Location: Dolton West School District 148, District Office, 114 West 144th Street, Riverdale, IL 60827
For more information on the above cohorts, please contact Dr. Dor Fitzgerald: firstname.lastname@example.org, 708.534.4536
**Please note: All cohort locations are open to teachers in any district or school.**
Interested in hosting a Multicategorical Special Education cohort in your school or district?
Please contact, Cohort Director Dr. Dor Fitzgerald at 708.534.4536 or email email@example.com.
Master of Arts in Education
Courses are offered both on campus each semester in University Park and in an off campus cohort format, where highly qualified educators participate as course faculty.
Master of Arts in Education Available Sequences:
- Mathematics Education
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Computer Education
ESL/Bilingual Approval Cohorts:
Chicago Public Schools, Chicago, IL
- Sawyer Elementary School (Courses begin every semester - Ongoing Cohort)
- Jane Addams Elementary School, Chicago, IL - Targeted Start Date Summer 2013
- Zapata Academy, Chicago, IL - Targeted Start Date Fall 2013
Additional locations in the South Suburbs:
- Governors State University, University Park, IL (Courses begin every semester in a traditional program, non-cohort format)
- Lincoln-Way School District
For a complete course listing, click here.
For more information on these locations or for information, please contact the Program Coordinator: Dr. Larry Cross, Phone: 708.534.6362, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle School Endorsement Courses:
The College of Education at GSU offers both on and off campus coursework for currently certified teachers to earn their Middle School Endorsements.
EDUC 642/EDUC 6422: Educational Psychology Applied to Middle School
EDUC 643/EDUC 6423: Curriculum and Instruction in the Middle School
For more information on how to host a cohort in your school or district, please contact the program coordinator: Dr. Larry Cross, Phone: 708.534.6362, Email:email@example.com.
Master of Arts in Educational Administration
Increase Your Qualifications and Make a Difference!
GSU’s new Principal Leadership Program:
- Recently approved by the State Licensure Board
- Blended/hybrid format allows one-subject-area per 8 week term in fall and spring semesters.
- Classes typically run on weeknights and/or Saturdays on the GSU campus.
- Off-campus cohorts are possible if there is sufficient interest.
- A faculty mentor will be assigned to each candidate throughout the duration of the program.
- Instead of a comprehensive exam, candidates must pass the ISBE teacher evaluator assessment.
- Content-area assessment must be passed prior to beginning the last semester of the internship.
- Candidates will earn a Master's Degree in Educational Administration.
- Reflects the Common Core State Standards
- Earns Principal Leadership Endorsement on ISBE Educator License
- Comprised of 36 semester hours
- Complete in six, seven or eight semesters
Spring 2014 Cohort Locations:
- On Campus (GSU, University Park, IL)
- SPEED Central Office, CEO Center, 1125 Division Street, Chicago Heights, IL 6041
For more information regarding these cohorts, contact Dr. Joseph Matula, Program Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.