F-1 and J-1 students must maintain their legal status at all time. Maintaining status is necessary to remain lawfully in the United States and to receive the benefits of F-1 or J-1 status. Part of maintaining status is enrolling full-time during each Fall and Spring semester.
Full-Time Enrollment Requirements:
Undergraduate Students - 12 Credit Hours
Master Students - 9 Credit Hours
Doctoral Students - 6 Credit Hours
- Registration for the summer semester is not required for students who are continuing their program and have registered for the following fall semester. Students who will complete their program in summer must be registered for summer.
- Students can register a maximum of one online class, three credits or less, per semester, to count toward their full course of study requirement. If a student needs only one course to finish his or her program of study, it cannot be taken through online/distance education. There must be a physical presence requirement for the course.
- Students who begin their program in the Summer semester must register for a full-course of study.
- Students can register for less than full time only during their last semester. You will need to provide a letter from your department verifying that it is your last semester. Contact OIS if you cannot register for a full-time course load prior to the start of the semester.
- Contact OIS if you need to take a leave of absence prior to the start of the semester for which you will need the leave.