Recognizing and Celebrating Excellence in
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
The Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Awards are presented annually and provides an opportunity to recognize the hard work, and celebrate the accomplishments, of staff members and campus partners. This special program gives the division an opportunity to recognize our peers for their exemplary service to the community, as well as thank them for extended years of service.
To submit a nomination, simply select the award category below and complete one nomination per individual per award. Individuals and programs may be nominated more than once and for multiple awards. Please contact Hollie Campbell or Lisa Carra with any questions.
Divisional Award Categories:
- Most Innovative
- The Spirit Award
- Going the Extra Mile
- The Calm, Cool, and Collected Award
- Professional Development & Life-Long Learning Award
- Promoting Partnerships Award
- Innovation/Technology Award
- Students First Award
- Student Mentor Award
- Unsung Hero Award
- Outstanding New Employee Award
- Outstanding Employee of the Year
Congratulations to the 2018 award recipients! To see who received the awards, please click below for each category.
2019 Process and Timeline:
•Nominations available afternoon of May 21, 2019
•Nominations close on Friday, June 14, 2019
•Announcement of winners at SA+EM Excellence Awards
Breakfast on Tuesday, June 25, 2019
During meetings - or even just in random conversation - one employee on your team invariably comes up with amazing idea after amazing idea. This person is responsible for brainstorming new revenue-generating initiatives, improving work flows, and figuring out how to provide even better customer service.
- 2016 Recipient: Chris Huang, Registrar (formerly the Kaizen Award)
- 2017 Recipient: Nancy Slowey, Admissions Clerk
- 2018 Recipient: Paul McGuiness, Assistant VP of Enrollment Management and Director of Admisssions
This award is given to the individual who most embodies the GSU culture and lives and breathes its values on a daily basis. The person who receives this award enhances the work environment simply by being themselves. They're jovial, encouraging, supportive, and friendly. Quite simply, they make work a better place.
- 2017 Recipient: Pat Rounsaville, Financial Aid Client Relations
- 2018 Recipient: Darcie Campos, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs and Director of Career Services
Most employees direct a majority of their focus on their own work. Sure, they might lend a hand from time to time, but they've got their own responsibilities that are most important to them. Then there's the employee who consistently goes above and beyond. This person always volunteers to take on extra work and pinch hit for coworkers. Beyond that, they deliver exemplary service to all customers and partners.
- 2017 Recipient: Darcie Campos, Vice President and Director of Career Services
- 2018 Recipient: Lorie Webster, Financial Aid Client Relations
The Calm, Cool, and Collected Award
Work can be stressful for most of us - there's no denying that. But even during the most hectic times of the year, every company has one employee who seems utterly unfazed by the fast-paced nature of work. While everyone else is frantic, this individual remains calm, cool, and collected at all times.
- 2017 Recipients: Matt Zarris, Assistant Director of Financial Aid and Tiesha Walker, Director of Dual Degree Program
- 2018 Recipient: Amy Comparon, Executive Director of the Academic Resource Center
Professional Development & Life-Long Learning Award
This award recognizes individuals who have contributed to the profession through conference presentations, research/publication including dissertation/capstone.
- 2016 Recipient: Robert Clay, Director of Intercultural Student Affairs
- 2017 Recipient: Chris Huang, Registrar
- 2018 Recipient: Tiffani Robertson, Associate Director of Admissions
Promoting Partnerships Award
This award recognizes individuals and/or departments that have accomplished goals and objectives through internal and/or external collaboration, outreach and partnerships both inside and outside the division, including academic affairs.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Mushtaq Choundhary, Assistant Directory of Auxiliary Services and University Housing
- 2017 Award Recipient: Brenda Moore, Financial Aid Client Relations
- 2018 Award Recipient: Sean Smith, Male Success Initiative (MSI) Program Coordinator
Innovation and Technology Award
This award recognizes significant improvement in performance, results, or process, in programs and services within SA+EM or within the university at large, through innovation or technology, social media/multimedia.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Sylvia Ponce de Leon, Associate Director of Financial Aid
- 2017 Award Recipient: Yakeea Daniels, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Services and Director of Admissions
- 2018 Award Recipient: Yakeea Daniels, Director for Enrollment Management Technology
This award recognizes an employee who continuously places students at the center of their work and their actions. Nominations should include examples that demonstrate a Student First approach in the nominees day-to-day work, and efforts to create a "Students First" divisional and campus culture.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Nicholas Hyer, Cohort Advisor and Coordinator of New Student Programs
- 2017 Award Recipient: Kimberly Peterson, Admissions and Records Specialist
- 2018 Award Recipient: Jason Vignone, Associate Registrar
This award recognizes an employee who does a great job yet receives little or no recognition for that. An unsung hero usually refrains from claiming too much in return for his/her efforts.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Melissa Hill, Admissions and Records Specialist
- 2017 Award Recipient: LaSheena Fuller, Financial Aid Client Relations
- 2018 Award Recipient: Christina Seymour, Admission and Records Officer
This award recognizes and employee who consistently gives significant time and effort counseling, advising and supporting students. Through their efforts, and mentorship, students are more likely to succeed, be leaders, servants, and change agents in their communities.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Roshaunda Ross, Director of the Dual Degree Program
- 2017 Award Recipient: Sean Smith, Coordinator of the Male Success Initiative
- 2018 Award Recipient: Jessica Specht, Director of Dual Degree Program
Outstanding New Employee Award
This award recognizes a new divisional employee, who started within the two preceding years, who has demonstrated superior work performance, positive attitude, initiative and a cooperative spirit.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Joshua Baker, Residence Hall Director
- 2017 Award Recipient: Nikki Witt Penwell, Coordinator of Community Standards
- 2018 Award Recipient: Daniel Jankowski, Sports Information Director and Compliance Coordinator
Outstanding Employee of the Year Award
This award recognizes a divisional employee, who has been employed for two or more years, and has demonstrated superior work performance, positive attitude, initiative and a cooperative spirit.
- 2016 Award Recipient: Lisa Carra, Assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs
- 2017 Award Recipient: Dorothea Franklin, Assistant Records Management Officer
- 2018 Award Recipient: Collice King, Admissions Counselor