Here, you are welcome.
Here, you are valued.
Here, you are.
"We are thrilled and deeply honored that you have decided to pursue your higher education, either as an undergraduate or graduate student, as a new student or returning student, at Governors State University! As you learn more about the people, programs, and resources that define this community, look for places where you can contribute your talent and energy."
—Dr. Aurelio Manuel Valente, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Where are my classes? Welcome Tables!
As you become acclimated to Governors State, you might have questions and need some directions. Please make use of the “Where are my classes?” Welcome Tables from Monday, August 27 through Wednesday, August 29 from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. in the Hall of Governors by the Registrar’s Office.
Welcome Week for ALL GSU students!
Welcome Week, sponsored by Student Life, is a campus-wide celebration at the beginning of each semester. It's a great time for you to meet new friends and find out more about your University! For more information about Welcome Week, please visit: www.govst.edu/welcomeweek.
Monday, August 27
- GSU Virtual Reality Tour: The Office of Marketing and Communications welcomes new and returning students with refreshments and a preview of a new virtual reality tour of campus.
D-Wing Atrium (near Student Central), 9-11 a.m. and 3-5 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt: Challenge yourself to find the locations of our scavenger hunt list in GSU's newly renovated library. Snap a picture of yourself at each spot. All participants will receive a small gift. Those who find all locations on our list can enter to win a daily prize during Welcome Week.
GSU Library, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Student Life Open House: Met the Student Life staff, tour the Jaguar Den (which houses the GSU Food Pantry) and the Career Closet, and enjoy light snacks!
Jaguar Den, located in A-2140, Noon – 2 p.m.
- Vaccines are for all of us! August is National Immunization Month. Visit the new Advocate Health Center's table to receive information on the importance of getting your shots.
Hall of Governors, 2 - 3 p.m.
- Want to Study Abroad? GSU is dedicated to creating opportunities for students to study in another country. Speak with the Office of International Services to learn how to make the World your classroom. Most programs allow students from all disciplines to apply.
Hall of Governors, 2 - 4:30 p.m.
- Bags with SOTA: Visit the Student Occupational Therapy's information table to learn about the field of OT and have fun playing bean bags and ladder golf.
Hall of Governors, 3 - 4 p.m.
- GSU Volleyball vs. IU Northwest: Support the GSU Jaguars as they play at home against their CCAC rivals! GSU students, faculty, and staff gain free admittance with my ONECARD. Non-GSU Admission: $5 for adults, $2 for children (under 12). For more information about GSU Athletics, please visit: www.GSUJaguars.com
- GSU Gymnasium, 7 p.m.
- Wild-n-Out @ GSU: Join Student Activities Council for the first Wild-n-Out @GSU session. Meet and greet MTV Wild 'N Out Comedians following the show. Bring your "A" game for a chance to compete head-to-head with students in this comedic battle spinoff of MTV's Winld 'N Out show. Email email@example.com to sign-up. Sponsored by the Student Activities Council.
Sherman Hall, 8 - 10 p.m.
Tuesday, August 28
- National Bowtie Day: Wear your favorite bowtie and take a selfie wearing your bowtie on campus. Once you have the perfect selfie, upload it to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using #GSURocksBowties and win a FREE dinner with Dr. Aurelio Manuel Valente, Vice President for Student Affairs and Corey Williams, Dean of Students.
- Vision Board Party: Dream it, Believe it, Achieve it! Create your own vision board.
Jaguar Den (A-2140), 12 noon - 1:30 p.m.
- GSU Supply Chain Student Club: Stop by our table for GSU trivia. Prizes, giveaways and much more!
Hall of Governors, 3 - 4 p.m.
- Meet your Student Senate. Meet your Student Senate executive board, your senators and find out how YOU can participate in the upcoming fall elections for open seats in Student Senate.
Hall of Governors, 3 p.m.
- Male Success Initiative (MSI) Information Session: Find out how you can be part of the Male Success Initiative, a campus enrichment program for male students, particularly men of color. MSI provides professional, academic, and personal development and helps participants develop a game plan for success, from orientation to graduation.
Jaguar Den, located in A-2140, 6 p.m.
- Prairie Place Social: Come socialize at Prairie Place to learn about the amazing events offered by Hall Council.
Prairie Place Great Hall, 6 - 7 p.m.
- Scoop on YOUR rights! Learn your student rights and enjoy free ice cream.
Prairie Place Great Hall, 7 - 8 p.m.
Wednesday, August 29
- Mix n' Mingle: Get to know the Office of International Services staff and meet domestic and international GSU students. Enjoy light refreshments, ice breakers, games and prizes.
Lakeside Lounge, 12 noon - 1:30 p.m.
- Trans4orm U: Fellowship with TGC in song and meet Trans4mation Gospel Choir members. Food, games and door prizes provided.
Hall of Honors, 1 - 2 p.m.
- Student Employment Fair: Looking for an on-campus job or part-time job off-campus? Visit the fair with copies of your updated resume to learn about job opportunities available specifically for GSU students! The Student Employment Fair is sponsored by Career Services.
Hall of Governors, 2 - 5 p.m.
- Pool Party and Cookout: Meet new friends, enjoy a swim, or have a bite to eat. Swim wear required. Must bring your own towel and present your myONECARD GSU ID for free access to the Olympic size lap pool.
GSU Pool, Recreation Center, 7 – 9 p.m.
Thursday, August 30
- Secretary of State Mobile Services: Whether you need to renew your driver’s license or sticker, stop by the booth!
Hall of Governors, 10:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- GSU Rocks the Vote! Become a registered voter.
Hall of Governors, 12 noon - 5 p.m.
- Welcome Week Block Party (Student Organization Involvement Fair): Want to get involved on campus but not sure where to start? Stop by the Involvement Fair to meet representation from over 80+ student organizations. Free food and carnival activities. Live broadcast by 103.5 KISS FM. GSU Main Entrance (D Building). Rain location is the Hall of Governors.
Friday, August 31
- Welcome Back Party: You have survived the first week of classes. Relax with an end of the week dance party! Admission fee charged.
E-Lounge, 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Saturday, September 1
Tuesday, September 4
- GSU Volleyball vs. St. Francis University: Support the GSU Jaguars at home against the St. Francis Fighting Saints! GSU students, faculty, and staff gain free admittance with my ONECARD. Non-GSU Admission: $5 for adults, $2 for children (under 12). For more information about GSU Athletics, please visit: www.GSUJaguars.com
GSU Gymnasium, 7 p.m.
Stay involved after Welcome Week ...
Beyond participating in Welcome Week, consider utilizing our Recreation and Fitness Center, and taking advantage of our many academic success workshops.
Please take a moment to explore these important links and resources:
- Welcome Week Schedule of Events
- Blackboard (requires login, classroom assignments and progress)
- Campus Dining
- Career Services and Jobs for Jaguars (requires login, on and off campus job listings)
- Dean of Students
- Financial Aid
- GSU Bookstore
- GSU Jaguar Athletics, come with friends and family and cheer on the Jaguars!
- GSU MyPortal (requires login, access GSU student email, class schedule, and financial aid)
- GSU Phone and Email Directory
- ITS and Technology Help Desk Information
- Jaguar Connection (requires login, student involvement and campus engagement portal)
- Library Information
- List of Academic Advisors
- Student Clubs and Organizations
- Student Handbook
- Student Health and Counseling
- Student Success Commons
- The STAR Student Success Network (requires login, connects students with faculty, advisors, and GSU services)
- University Housing