You can access your Financial Aid Award and view your financial aid information online through the myGSU online portal.

You will have access to the portal after you are accepted at GSU. This is a quick and easy way to monitor your financial aid status.

To view your financial aid information:

  1. Log in to the myGSU portal at
  2. Click on the "Online Services" tab
  3. Click on "Financial Aid" 

This is the area where you can view your award letter and accept/reject your financial aid awards. In "Bank Information (U.S.)," you can update the school with direct deposit information so that any financial aid refunds can be sent directly to your checking or savings account.

Also under "Online Services," you can view "Financial Information" to see your account summary by term to check your account balance. There you can see if you have an outstanding balance and owe money, if you are all paid up or if there is a credit on your account that will be refunded.

  • How do I...?







    Fill out the FAFSA

    Basic FAFSA Info: what is it; how do you fill it out

    Dependency status for FAFSA purposes


    Determining which parent’s info to report


    How aid is calculated (inc. link to detailed EFC info)


    Types of Aid/Getting Aid

    Types of financial aid

    Who can get federal student aid

    Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used

    Finding and applying for scholarships

    Loan interest rates and fees

    Aid for military families

    Avoiding financial aid scams

    Student Account Access

    My Federal Student Aid (student can log in to see grant and loan records and certain eligibility info)

    Repaying Loans

    Loan repayment

    Repayment Estimator (compares repayment plans)

    Income-driven repayment plans (e.g., Pay As You Earn plan, Income-Based plan)

    Public Service Loan Forgiveness

    Loan forgiveness in general

    Loan forgiveness for teachers

    College Prep

    College Preparation Checklist: academic and financial prep for K-12 and adult students

    Why go to college (education and pay/unemployment rates)

    Special Audiences

    Info for parents (tax benefits, support your child, college costs)

    Graduate school funding

    Financial aid for adult students

    Going to college in another country

    Social Media

    @FAFSA Twitter feed

    Federal Student Aid YouTube channel

    Federal Student Aid Facebook page

  • Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID


    What is it? 

    • A username and password that replaced the Personal Identification Number (PIN). 
    • Serves as electronic signature and to retrieve records.

    Why change it? 

    • To protect personal identifiable information.

    Where do I create it? 

    • Any federal Student Aid website that previously required a PIN.
    Creating an FSA ID
    1. Provide a unique email address.
      • Parent(s) and student must use a different email.
      • Security code is sent to email to verify email.
    2. Answer four security questions.
      • 2 questions will come from the drop down menu.
      • 2 questions must be created by user.
    3. Select an important date
      • Must not use date of birth.
    4. FSA ID will be created conditionally until it is verified with Social Security. The process takes 1-3 days. 
      • If user previously had a PIN, then it must be linked to new FSA ID and no conditional period. 


    Forgotten Password  
    • Request to receive reset code via email - will be able to use FSA ID immediately.
    • Answer three security questions (and/or important date) - must wait 30 minutes to use FSA ID.
    • If user did not provide email address and cannot answer security questions.
      • Must go through Identity Verification Process:
        • Mail a copy of photo identification to the Department of Education 
        • Wait a week for processing

    Troubleshooting FSA ID


    • FSA ID will not work if the information provided does not match user's information on FAFSA:
      • Name
      • Social Security Number
      • Date of birth
    • Check for blank spaces after first or last name.
    • Make sure that parents and student use different email.
    • May use email instead of user ID, if email has been verified.


  • Nerdscholar


    Nerdscholar is a financial literacy website that equips students and their families with resources they need to make smarter financial choices about college and beyond.

  • Tax Credits


    You or your parents may be eligible for a tax credit. The two available tax credits are the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. For more information and breakdowns on these tax credits please visit the Tax Incentives for Higher Education section of the IRS website.

  • Prepaid Tuition and 529 Plans


    The State of Illinois offers the College Illinois Prepaid Tuition Plan and the Bright Start College Savings Plan. The value of any education savings plans should be included as other investments on the FAFSA form.

    If you are using Prepaid Tuition/529 benefits at Governors State, contact the Financial Services Office at 708.235.3990 to arrange those payments.

  • Building credit

  • Undocumented Students


    Undocumented students follow the same admission procedures as all potential Governors State applicants. The undocumented status has no effect on admissions, which is based on the student's academics and examination scores.

  • Illinois Board of Higher Education online complaint system


    Participants in Title IV Federal Financial Aid under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, are required to direct students to a state agency for assistance with unresolved complaints. Related regulations require all Title IV participating institutions, regardless of the origin of their state authorization to operate, to comply with state agency complaint process and to communicate such information publicly. Under Federal rule 34 CFR 600.9 and 668.43(b), Title IV eligible institutions must make available to students or prospective students, upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution's accreditation and state authorization. The institution must provide its students or prospective student with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and the state. 

    The IBHE online complaint site includes step-by-step instructions and key information about the complaint process. 

  • Net Price Calculator


    This calculator is intended to provide estimated net price information (defined as estimated cost of attendance — including tuition and required fees, books and supplies, room and board (meals), and other related expenses — minus estimated grant and scholarship aid) to current and prospective students and their families based on what similar students paid in a previous year.      


  • Study Abroad Information


    Study Abroad


    If you are a degree seeking student and will be studying abroad, you may be eligible for additional financial aid to help with the costs associated with the trip. Study Abroad trips can be for a condensed amount of time (i.e. a few weeks) or they can be for the course of an entire semester or academic year.  To determine if you can utilize your financial aid to assist in paying for your Study Abroad experience, you must do the following:

    •  First, schedule an appointment to meet with Amy Schoenberg, Governors State’s Study Abroad Coordinator, to ensure that she is aware of the trip, and so that she can initiate the next steps in the process.  
    • If the nature of your trip is of the abbreviated variety (i.e. not for an entire semester/academic year) there must be an accompanying course, given here at GSU, and taken for credit, that you must enroll in. Trips that are taken without registering for an adjoining course will not be considered for additional financial aid assistance.  
    • If the trip is of the abbreviated variety, and you are enrolling in the accompanying course, a cost sheet must be established and confirmed by the Study Abroad Coordinator. 
    • If your Study Abroad trip is for an entire semester or academic year, the Study Abroad Coordinator will work with The Office of Financial Aid to determine your budget/cost of attendance.  Financial Aid will then determine what types/amounts of financial aid that you may be eligible to receive.                  
    •  If your study abroad program is not coordinated through GSU, you are required to meet with your Academic Advisor to determine that your anticipated coursework is both transferable and applicable to your degree here at GSU. 


      Paying for your trip


    • Please note: if you are taking an abbreviated Study Abroad trip, and you are allocated additional aid to help finance the trip, that aid will only disburse during the term within which the accompanying course is being offered.    
    • Any increase in financial aid to help meet the additional costs of studying abroad will usually require additional loan money such as a Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, PLUS and/or Alternative loans. Federal loan limits do apply. 
    • For information regarding the GSU Study Abroad Scholarship, as well as alternative ways to finance your education abroad, learn what the Office of International Services has to say, here
    • Typically, abbreviated trips are billed in instalments which are due before the trip takes place.  If that is the case, it is your responsibility to make these payments, and then (if applicable) reimburse yourself once your financial aid disburses during the term in which the accompanying course is being held.  
    • If your trip is for an entire term or academic year, your aid will be disbursed in accordance with the general disbursement dates as determined by the University.  Please note that your aid may be affected if you register for less than full-time enrollment, and at least half-time enrollment is required for federal loans to disburse.   
    • If your trip is not coordinated through GSU, it will be your responsibility to arrange to receive your financial aid from GSU, and then pay the tuition/fees at the “host” school. 
    • After being processed by the appropriate office, your study abroad transcripts must show the following two things: (1) you earned the amount of hours you received aid for during the study abroad term and (2) you received grades of at least a D or above. If not, the financial aid you received could be affected. You may be billed and may be responsible for repaying those funds to GSU.