• What are the eligibility criteria for RA applicants?


    A. RA recruitment for the 2024-2025 academic year will begin in February. In order to be eligible, RA Applicants:

    • Must be enrolled at GSU in the Fall 2023 semester
    • Need to have completed at least two semesters of college prior to starting the RA position in Fall 2023
    • Must be in both good academic and student conduct standing (not on academic probation or probation for student conduct)
    • Be available to live on the GSU housing for the entire 2024-2025 Academic Year. Candidates who will not be present on the GSU campus for both the Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 semesters (due to December 2024 course completion, study abroad, internship or any other reason) are not eligible to apply for an RA position

  • Why do I need to attend an information session?


    A. The purpose of the information session is to give you an understanding of Resident Assistant job responsibilities and expectations and to give you an opportunity to ask questions.

    To apply for the RA position you MUST attend one of the information sessions and indicate on your RA application which one you attended or plan to attend.

    The information sessions for the 2024-2025 RA selection process will occur during the week of February 5 - 8 of the Spring 2024 term.

    If you have any questions, please contact University Housing at 708.235.7110 or housing@govst.edu.

  • What is the Group Process Interview?


    A. The group process interview is a very effective way to evaluate applicants’ abilities to fulfill the role of RA. During this process, applicants will demonstrate their ability to work and interact in a group setting, to be a good team member, to speak to groups or to initiate communication and interaction with others.

  • Since I am applying to be an RA, do I need to fill out a housing application?


    A. Yes, all RA applicants who are interested in living in Prairie Place should fill out the housing application when it becomes available and submit the required fees. This is to your advantage in the event that you do not get the RA position. Waiting to see whether or not you get the RA position before applying for housing may place your housing placement in jeopardy, as assignments will be made on a “first come first served basis.”  If selected as an RA, the $100 housing pre-payment fee you submitted as part of the housing application will be credited to your student account. The $25 application fee will not be refunded

  • Can an RA be married and have his or her spouse live with him or her in the residence hall?


    A. No. Married students cannot have their spouses live in the residence halls with them. Currently GSU does not offer family housing.

  • Can I be an RA for one semester?


    A. No. The RA position is a full academic year position. Applicants must be available to work both Fall and Spring semesters. RAs will have the opportunity to apply for summer positions should they be interested.

  • Who should write my references?


    A. You should ask someone who knows you well and is familiar with your leadership skills as they relate to the requirements of the RA position. For example, good references may come from mentors or current and former employers. It is recommended that at least two of the three references come from someone in the GSU community or your previous institution if you are a new transfer student. Family members and relatives MAY NOT complete the reference form for you.

  • I am an international student. Am I eligible to apply for the RA position?


    A. International students who meet the RA eligibility criteria are eligible to apply. Please note that international students are not permitted to work more than twenty hours per week at GSU during the academic year. As a result, and due to the demands of the Resident Assistant position, international students who hold a Resident Assistant position may not hold any other additional appointments at GSU, as this would put the student at risk of working more than 20 hours in a week.