Getting around campus at Governors State University is made simple by the myONECARD. It's your official GSU identification card and your access to the resources of the Library and the Recreation and Fitness Center as well as for access to STUDENT ONLY activities and other services on campus.

  • Why should I have a myONECARD?


    The GSU myONECARD is your campus ID if you are a student, faculty or staff member.  It is important to keep with you at all times for identification, and for other privileges linked to your card.

  • How do I get a myONECARD?


    If you are a GSU student or employee, you can pick up your GSU myONECARD at the Office of Auxiliary Services & University Housing (C1330) or at the Welcome Center (D Building, Main Entrance)


    DAY OF Week Auxiliary Services Welcome Center
    Monday10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
    Tuesday10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
    Wednesday10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
    Thursday10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
    FridayClosed8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    SaturdayClosed9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
    Sunday    ClosedClosed

     Please bring a valid driver's license, state ID, military ID or passport with you when you go to have a myONECARD made.  No headgear, sunglasses or any other item that obstructs the face should be worn.  In accordance with the U.S. Department of State policy regarding the wearing of religious headgear in passport pictures, photographs must be taken with no visible obstruction of the face necessary for positive identification.  The upper portion of the forehead to the lowest point of the chin may not be covered.  PLEASE NOTE:  RESIDENTS OF PRAIRIE PLACE MUST HAVE THEIR myONECARD ISSUED BY AUXILIARY SERVICES.

  • Where can I use the myONECARD?


    The myONECARD can be used to access the resources of the GSU Library, the Recreation and Fitness Center and for access to STUDENT ONLY activities.  In addition, myONECARD can be used in the CUBE at the "Pay for Print" stations, for purchases in the GSU Bookstore, in the GSU Café and Prairie Place C-store. 

    Residents of Prairie Place also use their myONECARD to access the electronic doors in Prairie Place.

  • What if my card is lost or stolen?


    If your myONECARD is lost or stolen, please report it lost or stolen to the University Housing Office (C-1330) to deactivate it. Any card that has been stolen should be reported to the Department of Public Safety (708.534.4900). If you live in Prairie Place, please contact a University Housing staff member in the building so that staff can issue you a new myONECARD .

    There is a $25 replacement charge for a lost or misplaced myONECARD. Faculty, staff and students can pay by cash or check at the Cashier's Office (C1336) and then bring the receipt across the hall to the Office of Auxiliary Services & University Housing (C1330) to have a new myONECARD issued.

    Students can also request the replacement charge be placed on their Student Account.

  • How do I care for my card?


    All GSU myONECARDs are University property and are subject to the card terms and conditions.  Protect your card accordingly:

    • If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately and deactivate the card.
    • Don't bend, scratch, punch holes in it, add stickers to, or write on any myONECARD.  Altering an ID in any way may cause it not to function, and replacement fees may apply.
    • If you find someone else's ID, return it to Auxiliary Services & University Housing (C1330)
    • A myONECARD may only be used by the person named on it.  Using someone else's myONECARD is theft.

  • How much should I deposit on my card?


    You can deposit as much as you think you will need.  Your account balance remains available as long as you are a student or an employee of GSU.  Auxiliary Services will not refund your myONECARD account balance unless it is greater than $15.01 and all other debts to the University have been satisfied.  A $15.00 refund service fee will be deducted from the refund.

  • I am an employee and a student. Do I get 2 cards?


    You will be issued either a student or an employee myONECARD, but not both.  If you are an employee who is taking classes, you will receive a myONECARD that identifies you as staff or faculty. You will be able to access all tuition and fees paying services that other students are able to access (i.e., library, recreation & fitness center). 

    If you are a student employee, your myONECARD will identify you as a student.

  • How can I check my account balance?


    You can check your myONECARD account balance by:

    1. Going to the myONECARD homepage and clicking on: (link to be posted for Fall 2019 soon!)
    2. By reviewing the receipt you receive when you purchase something.  The amount of money remaining on your card is listed at the bottom of the receipt.

  • What does non-transferable mean on the card?


    This means that you, as the cardholder, may not allow another person to be in possession of your myONECARD or to use it.  The myONECARD is for use ONLY by the individual it was issued to and may not be shared with another.  Individuals may not be in possession of another person's myONECARD even if they have the authorization of the cardholder.

  • Who do I contact if I have further questions?


    The department of Auxiliary Services & University Housing manages the myONECARD program.  For support or to report a lost of stolen card, contact us in C1330, or by email at or via phone at 708.235.7110