Reverse Transfer is a program designed for students who transferred from any Illinois community college to Governors State University (GSU) without earning their associate's degree. Credits successfully completed at GSU may be transferred back to the community college and used to fulfill the remaining requirements for their associate's degree. The community college will evaluate the GSU coursework and determine if credits taken at GSU will fulfill any remaining requirements. A student who has attended any Illinois community college and meets the eligibility requirements listed in the drop-down menu below may take advantage of this policy. If you are interested in participating in this initiative, view the Reverse Transfer Agreement Form (PDF) and the drop-down menu below for more information.

Effective December 2019, the joint rules of the Board of Higher Education and Illinois Community College Board: rules on the reverse transfer of credit establishes these types of agreements with all community colleges in the state of Illinois. This process will be in compliance with (110 ILCS 150/) Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act.

  • Why an associate’s degree?


    An associate's degree is an important milestone in your education as well as a valuable credential to have on your resume. Employers value the associate's degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge and achieving your educational goals. The associate's degree can make a difference in your long-term success in several ways:

    • It can open the door to better job opportunities, even while you're still working on your bachelor's degree.
    • It is the nation's fastest-growing academic credential and employers recognize its value when recruiting and hiring.

    If you transferred to Governors State University from a community college without completing all the requirements for your associate's degree, it may be possible to complete the credits you need using GSU courses by reverse transferring your GSU credits to your community college.

  • Who is eligible for reverse transfer?


    The reverse transfer of credit option is available to any student who is currently enrolled at Governors State University and has earned:

    • At least 15 hours of transferable coursework at any Illinois community college; and
    • A cumulative total of at least 60 credit hours of transferrable coursework successfully completed at Governors State University or any previously attended postsecondary institution. The 60 hours could include credit from one or more schools, both in-state and out-of- state, and/or from AP, CLEP, IB or the Seal of Bi-literacy.


  • How do individuals participate in Reverse Transfer?


    All individuals wishing to participate in reverse transfer are required to complete a Reverse Transfer Agreement Form (PDF). By doing so, the individual agrees to the exchange of transcript information between Governors State University and the Illinois community college the student is declaring for the awarding of their associate's degree. The community college will determine if they have met their associate’s degree requirements. 

    If you are interested in participating in this initiative or have any additional questions, please contact or 708.534.4500. To participate, please use the Reverse Transfer Agreement Form (PDF).

    Each academic year, during the fall semester, the Registrar’s Office will identify and inform qualifying current students of the reverse transfer option; students can choose to opt in or opt out. If students choose to opt into this initiative, the Reverse Transfer Agreement Form (PDF) will be valid for one academic year, and transcripts will be sent to the selected Illinois community college after the fall and spring semesters at no cost to you. If students choose to opt out at any time within that academic year, they should notify the Registrar’s Office at

  • Contact Information


    If you are interested in participating in this initiative or have any additional questions, please contact or 708.534.4500.

  • Reverse Transfer Agreement Form


    To participate, please use the Reverse Transfer Agreement Form (PDF).