Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Instructions
Students who have lost eligibility for financial aid due to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy may appeal the decision. You are allowed to appeal once per each program. Completing a SAP appeal does not guarantee approval.
Appeals will be reviewed by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee. The committee consists of members from various colleges and departments at GSU. The committee will collectively decide if your financial aid should be reinstated or remain in cancellation. Please be aware that if the committee reinstates your financial aid eligibility they will require certain stipulations that must be met each semester. Failure to meet these stipulations at any point in time will result in your financial aid once again being suspended. You will be notified via email of the committee's decision. The committee's decision is final.
Directions & Process:
- Meet with your academic advisor to complete the Evaluation of Academic Performance Form and an updated Study Plan or Degree Audit signed by your academic advisor.
Prepare to upload your complete appeal packet with all your supporting documents by the published deadline for the semester for which you are appealing.
- It must verify your major
- It must list the specific courses and number of hours remaining for your major and degree completion.
- If you submit your appeal without the evaluation from your advisor, your appeal will not be considered.
- You must also submit a Degree Study Plan if you have been cancelled for exceeding the maximum time frame requirement to complete your degree.
Complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form online at SAP Appeal Application
- Appeals without supporting documentation will be denied.
- If a professional is providing a letter to support your appeal, it must be signed, dated and on letterhead.
- All letters must include contact information for the committee to contact if they determine follow-up is necessary. However, you must document your circumstances in writing. Do not expect for the committee to use this contact information to call and document your circumstances for you.
- Be sure to upload all required documents to prevent any delay in the processing of your appeal.
- You will be notified via email of any missing documents.
Examples of appropriate supporting documentation are as follows:
Copy of Plane Ticket
Copy of medical bills
Statement from Doctor
Letter from Employer
|Letter from Counselor/Therapist|
Car repair bills
Submitting incomplete documentation will result in a delay in processing your appeal or cancellation of your appeal.
All requests will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee. Appeals submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed until the next committee meeting. You will be informed of the decision through your GSU email. Students whose appeals are denied will have all aid cancelled and will be responsible for paying for their classes or dropping them within the required refund period. Your classes are not automatically dropped when your financial aid is cancelled.
Financial Aid Appeal Due Dates
The committee meets the week after the appeal due date
|Thursday, August 3, 2023||Thursday, January 4, 2024||Thursday, April 18, 2024|
|Thursday, August 17, 2023||Thursday, January 18, 2024||Thursday, May 2, 2024|
|Thursday, September 21, 2023||Thursday, February 22, 2024||Thursday, June 13, 2024|
|Thursday, October 26, 2023||Thursday, March 21, 2024|| |
Thursday, August 4, 2022
Thursday, January 5, 2023
Thursday, April 20, 2023
Thursday, August 18, 2022
Thursday, January 19, 2023
Thursday, May 4, 2023
Thursday, September 22, 2022
Thursday, February 23, 2023
Thursday, June 15, 2023
Thursday, October 27, 2022
Thursday, March 23, 2023