The role of Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD) is to assist in providing an accessible environment and equality of educational opportunities for students with documented disabilities. The goal is to focus on a student's ability not the disability.

The ASSD office operates under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.  Legally mandated access and accommodations are available to all qualified students who self-identify with ASSD.  Students must provide documentation by a qualified professional that can verify the functional impact of the disability as well as recommendations for appropriate accommodations.  The information provided by students is voluntary and confidential.  To arrange for appropriate accommodations, students need to contact the ASSD office.  



ASSD is now processing accommodation requests for Summer 2024. If you are a new or returning student requesting accommodations, please complete the forms listed below under Register for Student Disability Services.



  • Establishing Eligibility


    We work with the campus community to create accessible and inclusive environments for all our students. Sometimes there may be elements in a class that make it difficult to participate or to show your true knowledge. If that is the case, that's when we can be the academic support you need. You can start by registering with us. This is a three step process:

    1. Contact our office by email:, by phone 708-235-3968 or in person, Room B1215 in the Academic Resource Center.
    2. Set up an appointment that is convenient for you to assess your specific needs and determine the appropriate accommodations for you.
    3. Provide documentation that verifies your disability and supports your diagnosis. Please bring the documentation you have on hand and we'll let you know if we need additional information.

    For accommodations in University Housing at Prairie Place, please visit

  • Register for Student Disability Services


    To register for services and accommodations, please click the following links below to complete the required forms.

    Prospective Students and Currently Enrolled Students 

    If this is your first time registering for services and accommodations at GSU, please complete the forms listed below: 

    ·         Intake Application

    ·         FERPA Form  

    ·         Verification Form (This is the form to be completed by your medical care provider, psychologist, and/or psychiatrist required for documentation of disability to qualify for services and accommodations.)


    Currently Enrolled Students who are registered with Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD)
    Please click the following link below to complete and submit the required form if you are currently registered for services and accommodations at GSU. If it is the start of a new semester, consent will be needed to notify your professors of accommodations.

    Re-Consent Form  

  • List of Possible Accommodations


    • Extended Time on Tests
    • Reduced Distraction Testing area/room
    • Recording of Lecture
    • American Sign Language Interpreters
    • Captioning
    • Textbooks in Alternative format
    • Reader for Test Taking 
    • Scribe for Test Taking 
    • Accessible seating arrangements

  • Faculty Resources


    GSU is committed to providing all students equal access to university programs and facilities. Students who need accommodations based on disability should contact Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD). Students must register with ASSD before faculty are required to provide appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information or to register, please contact ASSD by email, or call 708-235-3968. Please be sure to contact ASSD the first week of classes to ensure that faculty are notified of accommodations for that semester.


    Faculty Tips and Forms: 

  • Test Accommodations


    Disability Testing Accommodation Procedures


    Students who qualify for special testing accommodations, such as extended time or distraction reduced room, will take their exams at GSU's Testing Center located in the GMT building.  The instructor initiates the process by completing the Faculty Exam Proctor Request Form.  Instructions can be found on the Testing Center website or by calling 708-235-7555.  The students will then be notified by email regarding the date and time to take the exam in the GMT building.  Test reading and scribing will be administered by Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD). Please contact ASSD at ext. 3968 or by emailing to make arrangements for test reading and scribing.  For best practices, all students must make arrangements with instructor(s) for testing accommodations at least a week prior to the test/exam, if possible.


      Legal Statement:

      In accordance with federal law, Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Governors State University must provide reasonable exam accommodations to qualified students with a disability.  Exam accommodations are provided to minimize the impact of a disability by providing students an equal chance to demonstrate mastery of information. Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD) is designated by the university to verify, determine, and provide appropriate accommodations for qualified students.  Students may establish this accommodation by submitting appropriate documentation to Access Services for Students with Disabilities. Faculty are not responsible for determining exam accommodations; however they must comply with federal law by utilizing the Testing Center exam service OR by providing the appropriate accommodation(s) independently to qualified students.  Faculty can verify student request for exam accommodations by contacting ASSD by email, or by calling 708-235-3968.






    • Student FAQ Sheet



      What constitutes a disability?

      A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.   Learning is an example of a major life activity.  If you have a mental or physical condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition which may be considered by others as substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.

      What does substantially limiting mean?

      According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, substantially limiting is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner, or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or to most people.

      What is a major life activity?                                                                                                               

      According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a major life activity is defined as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

      What are academic adjustments/accommodations?

      Appropriate academic adjustments or reasonable accommodations create an equal access to education, as long as it doesn't require a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum. This is determined by the institution.


      What should I do if I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

      If you have a disability, as determined by the ADA and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to provide documentation of that disability to Access Services for Students with Disabilities. This documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question. An appointment should be scheduled with Access Services for Students with Disabilities to review the documentation and the need for services.

      How do I contact Access Services for Students with Disabilities?

      Access Services for Students with Disabilities is located in the Academic Resource Center.  The hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.  Students needing to register should contact ASSD at 708-235-3968 or email,

      How do I register with Access Services for Students with Disabilities?
      To register with Access Services for Students with Disabilities you will need to submit an Intake Application, Consent Form, FERPA, and provide verification/documentation of disability.  You will also need to schedule an appointment with Access Services for Students with Disabilities to determine what accommodations and supports are appropriate for your classes for each semester.

      Should I declare my disability?
      Deciding to disclose your disability is a personal decision. However, we strongly recommend that you inform us when you've been accepted at Governors State University.  This will enable us to address your individual support requirements. All information regarding your disability will be treated in strict confidence.

      What types of support/services are available?

      • Consultation with faculty on classroom and learning access accommodations
      • Coordination of alternative textbook format services
      • Coordination of supplementary reader, note taker, and sign language/CART services
      • Coordination of academic testing services including extended time testing and distraction reduced testing room
      • Referral to campus and community resources
      • Tutorial assistance in math and writing to all students through the Academic Resource Center

      For additional information regarding services offered by GSU's Academic Resource Center, please call 708-534-4090.

    • Transition to College Information



      High Schools


      Governors State University




      Applicable Laws

      Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)



      Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973

      Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADA Amendment Act 2008


      Section 504


      FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

      All of the information in the College section is applicable; below are additional pieces of information.


       (see Student Handbook)



      Enable student success

      Provide equal access

      Disability Services provides equal access; student success services available for all students




      Required Documentation

      Individual Education Plan (IEP)


      Section 504 plan


      School provides evaluation at no cost to student.


      School conducts triennial evaluation intervals.

      IEP and 504s are not applicable. Original documentation required from licensed professional; report must include diagnosis, testing results, and functional limitations. Testing must be current.

      Student must get evaluation at own expense.

      Student is not required to be re-tested after initial documentation approved.

      Documentation must meet Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) standards (

      IEPs and 504s from high school may be used as additional information.


      Written permission from the student must be granted for disability services office to speak with documentation provider.



      Parental Role

      School is required to include parents in process.


      Parents have access to student records.




      Parents advocate for student.

      College officials are precluded from including parents once student is enrolled (regardless of age).

      Parents do not have access to educational, disability or health-related records unless student provides written consent.

      Students advocate for themselves.

      Parents are urged to prepare their student for college by having the student self-identify, ask questions, and obtain information during the admission and enrollment process.

      Once enrolled, parents do not have access to any information about their student unless it is an emergency (or written consent has been provided)



      High Schools


      Governors State University




      Student Role

      Student is identified and supported by parents/teachers.


      Implementing accommodations is school's responsibility.

      Student must self-identify to the disabilities services (or other designated) office (even if parents contact the office first).

      Implementing accommodations is the student's responsibility.

      Student chooses whether or not to self-identify and/or use services.

      Once student comes forward, the Learning Enrichment and Disability Services office will explain policies, procedures, and philosophy to student







      Teachers/ Professors

      Modifications to curriculum and/or changes to the pace of assignments may be made. (Not for college credit classes, however.)

      Multi-sensory approaches used.

      Frequent testing, and graded assignments used.

      Attendance taken and reported.

      Modifications to curriculum are not required. Modifying essential components of courses and/or curriculum is not an option.

      Multi-sensory approaches may or may not be used. The frequency of tests and assignments varies.


      Attendance may or may not be taken; student is responsible for attending class.



      Group work is a frequent expectation.

      Classroom attendance is considered an essential component of the College curriculum. Students that miss class frequently, regardless of the reason, may encounter situations where faculty will not take the late work and may fail the student for lack of participation




      Grades may be modified based on curriculum.

      Grades reflect quality of work submitted.

      Grades determined by each course instructor and are usually stated in the syllabus. As stated above, attendance and participation are often components of the grade.






      Once a student (or parent of a prospective student) discloses a disability to a faculty or staff member (excluding Health and Counseling Services), the information is to be communicated to Disability Services (or the faculty-staff member encourages the student to contact the office)

      If the Director receives information regarding a disability from any source, the Director then tries to contact the student to let the student know of available resources.

    • Disability Resources


      Job Resource Guide for People with Disabilities:


       Informational Resources and Employment Search sites:  - "The first and largest employment website for job seekers with disabilities."

      – A job opportunity website for persons with disabilities. 

      – A national employment and social networking portal that uniquely connects job seekers with disabilities with employers committed to hiring them. – "Equal Opportunity Publications has led the way in diversity recruitment with a portfolio of seven national career magazines, a diversity website, online job board, and Career Expos for women, members of minority groups, and people with disabilities." Their online job board connects employers dedicated to hiring a diversified workforce with qualified job seekers in all career backgrounds.  - The National Organization on Disability website provides information through many avenues such as community involvement, economic participation, and Access to Independence resources.    - The job accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues.    

 - Largest Job Site for People with disABILITIES   

   - Provides job searches for individuals with disabilities, as well as resume and career advice.   

      - Job search site dedicated to helping individuals with disabilities find employment.


                Government Resources and Jobs Search sites


                The Federal Office of Personnel Management site offers information on how to find governmental positions for people with  disabilities as well as many related articles, links and success stories.     

                Section 508 - Federal resource that provides a variety of information regarding disability. 

                Social Security Administration’s section on on how to apply for positions if the candidate has a disability.

                  HUDInformational website regarding rights of people with disabilities and the responsibilities of housing providers and building and design professionals under federal law.   

                    ADA - Provides information on the Americans with Disabilities Act.   

                      APSE - Provides resources for individuals with disabilities on government and state employment.   



                      • Contact Us


                        Access Services for Students with Disabilities (ASSD) is located in the Student Success Commons B1215.  Our hours are 8:30am-5pm Monday thru Friday.  ASSD welcomes students, faculty, and staff to contact us regarding any questions you may have about the services we provide or how to implement reasonable accommodations. Please contact ASSD by phone: 708-235-3968 or by email:  We look forward to assisting you.